Maryland Volkssport Association
Minutes of Meeting
Saturday, April 26, 2009
Officers Present: President, Bob Schmick;
Treasurer, Kenneth Wilson; Secretary, Steve Arnett; Dennis Lynch (Past President).
Club Delegates: Bob Wolfe (Freestate),
Sue Kenyon (BWC), Sandy Lynch (Worldwide Walking Club), Jerry Baugher (Piedmont
Pacers), Maribeth Evans (Sugarloafers), and Betty Davis (Annapolis Amblers).
Guests: Carolyn Petruzzelli, Carolyn Thurber, Jim and Barbara Fons.
The Meeting was called to order at 1:15 PM by President Bob Schmick
- Minutes from the December 31st, 2008 meeting were approved.
- Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Ken Wilson presented the Profit and Loss Statement for
2008, the Balance Sheet for 2008, and the Proposed Budget for 2009. Ken also presented
the monthly balance sheets for Dec, Jan, Feb, and for March. He repeated that Nancy Stenger
closed her RD accounts, and has donated $400 to the MVA. The report was accepted as
- Bob recommended that clubs buy Forever Stamps for the YRE boxes, and not worry
about increases in postage.
- Future of the Sport: Ron completed analyzing 2008 figures, and is not happy with the
results. Attendance improved slightly during the 4th quarter for regular events, but there
were 3 more events than in 2007. There was an overall increase from 2007 to 2008, but
Ron is concerned about the decrease in 2 day events.
- C&O Canal: No Report
- Webmeister: No Report
- Publicity Contest: Clubs should contact Joan Lampart concerning entries for
the publicity contest at the AVA Convention.
- Wedding: There will be an event on the Canal on May 16, 2009. A wedding
will occur at this event, and the wedding couple is paying all sanction and walking
fees. The event will start at Lock 26, White's Ferry. A special stamp will be used for
stamping books. Bob wants an approximate head count so that food can be ordered.
- Rediscover Maryland Program: There are still certificates for those completing
the Rediscover program, but there will be no new books distributed.
- AVA Club Website: The Officer's page on the AVA Club Website has a place for the
clubs to enter their club delegate's name.
- Proxies: Bob is taking proxies to the AVA Convention for several clubs. If a proxy
is needed by a club, they should contact Bob.
- Jerry Baugher made a motion for a $1000 donation to the C&O Foundation.
This motion was approved after a discussion.
- A motion was made to donate money back to the clubs based on their numbers for
the YREs. The total amount will be $2000 divided between the clubs. This motion was approved.
- Annette Tollett has proposed that an RD meeting and election be held at an
upcoming walk in Delaware.
- Club Social Activities: There was a discussion of social events, such as those held by
the Annapolis Amblers and the Seneca Valley Sugarloafers, be considered by other clubs
as a means of keeping and gaining membership.
- Annapolis Amblers: The Amblers recommend that street addresses be listed in
publicity for all events to facilitate finding start locations via such methods as GPS units
or Mapquest. They also recommended that POCs for all events list cell phone numbers in
publicity. Future events are: an event in Eastport on August 29th, the annual
Octoberfest event in Annapolis on the first Sunday in October, and the Boat Parade event
the second weekend in December in Eastport.
- Baltimore Walking Club: The BWC is developing a series of events for 2010 based on
Maryland history. An example will be in Cumberland, MD based on the coal industry.
- Chesapeake Bay Country Wanderers: The CBCW is planning to discuss the future of
the club at the regular meeting scheduled for June 4th. Anyone wishing to participate is
encourage to attend. Future events will be a National Trails Day event in Patuxent Park
on June 6th, and a 20th anniversary event scheduled for the 7th and 8th of November.
- Columbia Volksmarch Club: No Report
- Great Greenbelt Volksmarchers: No Report
- Freestate Happy Wanderers: Bob Wolfe reported that the Freestate Club now has a
patch and special book for the completion of all club YREs. Their next event will be at the
Elks Club in Severna Park on July 5th, and they have a social planned at the Bowie
Baysox game on July 25th.
- Piedmont Pacers: The club will hold 3 more events in 2009, including the Augustoberfest
in July, and the Frederick, MD Octoberfest.
- Potomac River Volksmarching Club: No Report
- Seneca Valley Sugarloafers: A new Zoo trail has been added this year. The club is
trying for a walk a month this year.
- Washington DC Area Volksmarch Club: The club held its first night walk in April, and
will continue its normal series of night walks from the library prior to the club meetings in
May, July, August, and September. The next event will be held from the Charles Beatley
Central Library in Alexandria. This is NOT the library the night walks are held from. The
club is hoping to hold an event using the walking trail being developed across the Wilson
- World Wide Volkssport Tours: Sandy Lynch is working on events in Puerto Rico and
the Virgin Islands in conjunction with a cruise in January from Port Lauderdale, FL.
- MVA: Bob is working on plans for a possible Atlantic Region Conference to be held in
Annapolis in 2010. This conference is being planned for the 3rd week in March.
MVA: Clubs are reminded that the AVA Publicity contest is coming. Awards and
proxies should be submitted as needed. Clubs should make sure their Starting Points
order forms are current.
The next MVA meeting will be the Annapolis Ambler event in Eastport, MD on
August 29th, 2009 at 1 PM.
The meeting was closed at 2:11 PM.
Steven K. Arnett; Secretary